What is pink revolution?Pink Revolution refers to the attempts to increase the poultry and meat in the country using the technology. It aims at modernization of the meat and poultry processing industry. The present meat consumption per capita of around 6 grams per day will improve to 50 grams a day in the next decade or so. Need for Pink Revolution
- Despite India being the world’s top producer of goat and buffalo meat, Meat processing levels currently stand at 21%, compared to 6% for poultry.
- The processed meat can be safely stored and exported → thus it will reduce the food wastage and earn valuable foreign exchange
- Farmers will be able to diversify their income
- Nutrition security through eggs and meat
- Employment generation through food processing plants
- In Assam, pink revolution will greatly benefit pig rearers, who will be able to export meat to South East Asian countries